Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Nestle Boycott

I did not know about this until today, so I thought I would pass it on. Apparently there has been an international boycott on Nestle products since the 70's. Advocates of breastfeeding and nutritional education claim that Nestle markets their products in unethical ways to new and expecting mothers. You can read a little more about it here.

I can attest to the large amount of formula samples, free babgs, and coupons that were thrown at me during pregnancy and in the early days after Weapon X was born. I had my mind set on nursing, so I was not swayed, but I can imagine how someone who was not educated on the importance of nursing exculsively for the first 6 months might be convinced that using formula is easier. It might very-well be easier, but it is certainly not cheaper. And nursing took off all of the 50 pounds I gained during the pregnancy. I don't think formula will do that for you!

*Note* The boycott is not against formula. It is against the unethical marketing of formula.

If you want to join the boycott, also be aware that Nestle owns the following brands:
Friskies
Kitkat
Nestea
Purina
Purina Dog Chow
Nido
Buitoni
Hot Pockets
NesCafe
Stouffer's
Dreyers
Milo
Poland Spring
Lean Cuisine
Nespresso
Coffee Mate
Nesquick
Nestle Carnation
Maggi
Pure Life

No comments: