Thursday, August 7, 2008

Toddler Tips: Tooth Brushing


My son is too smart for me!

Any tooth brushing trick works for a week (MAX!) and then we're at square 1.

The only thing that works for us with tooth brushing is to let him chew on the brush until he is done. Then when he is finished I "clean his mouth" with a thin cloth (Especially For Baby washcloths are perfect). I'm not sure why this works, but it does. He opens wide "like an alligator" and is full of cooperation.

I think brushing is an activity that he wants to be in control of. He does not like being dirty, so "cleaning his mouth" is separate from brushing, and is very important to him. He talks about his mouth being dirty with great concern.

I hope this helps some of you! Tooth brushing had been a nightmare for us!

No comments: