Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Greenling Local Only Box


We recently decided to take a culinary adventure and get the Greenling Local box delivered. It is a giant box of organic, local produce. The great part is they pick everything for you. The bad part is if you are a picky eater you may get some items (like mushrooms!) that nobody in your house will eat.

This, our first box, came with items that made me realize how picky we are! The scary items were: eggplant (stewed it), asian eggplant (fried it), fresh black eyed peas (stewed it), mushrooms (gifted it to a neighbor), and sorrel...

I was a little frightened of the sorrel. I responded by immediately pureeing the whole bunch in my blender with some olive oil and putting it in the freezer with more olive oil on top.

On saturday, I made a stew with a lot of the random veggies. Big eggplant, sauteed onion, blackeyed peas, tomatoes, 2 potatoes, some left-over kabocha squash, salt, garlic powder and water all went into my crock pot for 20 hours. At that point, I added masala to taste and 1/3 of my pureed sorrel. In the future, I may add less. The sorrel has an incredibly intense flavor!

I don't know what I will do with the rest of the sorrel. This blog lists the items of the week and says I'm not getting any sorrel this week (whew!) I don't really want a back-log of frozen sorrel :)

No comments: